A regular commuter journaling tales of public transportation; embellishing the colorful events and
characters to make it a little more entertaining.



pages

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The Metro Life Cycle

It’s always fun for me to do things for the first time with one of the princesses. Especially things that are ordinary to me. It rarely fails in bringing about some level of appreciation for things that I have not considered, or have become jaded to over time. Like riding the metro.
Princess #1 and #2 have now ridden the metro a number of times to take special trips with mommy, but Princess #3 has been impatiently waiting to be “big enough” for her own journey. (To be clear, she could have ridden the metro at any time, I just wasn’t prepared to handle a toddler and the metro at the same time. Not even the most precious observations are worth that kind of headache.)
This past Sunday it was finally her turn. We met up with some friends to wander the Eastern Market, and it really is simple* to get there via metro. Despite the added travel time of one-track running of Orange/Blue lines, it was a successful adventure for us.
[*Note: by simple I mean there is no changing of trains necessary. This is not to be confused with being either faster or easier than driving.]
Sassy Princess #3 -- ready to spend the morning searching for treasures at the market.
{still sporting her stylish, self-inflicted "cropped" bangs from Mother's Day}

I was struck by how her little 3 yo observations summed up the life cycle of most metro experiences: 
“I want to do the ticket! I like these stairs that are moving!”
“I like this train! I like these orange chairs! I want to sit by the window!”
“This train is moving fast! More people are getting on this train with us!”
“What is that smell? I don’t like it.”
“We keep stopping, can we get off yet? Are we there?”
“This carpet is dirty. I can’t see out my window, I don’t like this tunnel.”
“Are we there yet?”
“I can still smell something. I don’t like it. This train is dirty.”
“Are we there yet?”
“This train is loud. Can I lay down?”
“I want to do the ticket! Why are these stairs not moving? Can you make them move?”
“Can we be done with the train now?”
Ahh, how quickly they learn.

 xoxo -- Enjoy the daily adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment