A regular commuter journaling tales of public transportation; embellishing the colorful events and
characters to make it a little more entertaining.



pages

Thursday, June 23, 2011

WARNING: Escalator IN Service

I guess I'm pretty late to the party on this issue, as there is no shortage of video commentary on the subject out there, but it was a direct message I received from a fellow mom and Metro rider that brought the issue to my attention.

PARENT WARNING: if you are taking your child who is wearing Crocs onto the Metro and it happens to be a day when the escalators are actually working, be cautious!
The following excerpt is taken from my friend's email:
"Several of you have asked after her, so I thought I would send you all a note to let you know that my [precious daughter] is fine, and to let you know what amazing teachers and administrators we have.  

En route to [a field trip] today, [daughter's] left Croc got sucked in the escalator down to the Metro.  [Teacher #1] -- thinking and acting quickly -- got her out of harm's way, all the while holding on to another student, ensuring both of their safety.  [Teacher #2] swung into action with latex gloves and first aid kit, cleaned her wound, bandaged her up, and carried her back to school where they talked and read books until we arrived... At the doctor, [my daughter] received an elaborate bandage...her left toe nail is gone and ...she will be on antibiotics for several days.
But while [Teacher #2} was administering to [my daughter] at the Metro station, not one Metro employee stopped to ask if they could help. [Teacher #1] filed a complaint with Metro about their employees' lack of interest in a wounded rider...and...Metro informed her that injuries caused on escalators by Crocs-wearers is a huge issue..."
I feel the need to mention that Metro escalators aren't the only potentially dangerous ones, and Crocs are not the only shoe that could cause an injury. Ok, I mentioned it. Oh, and I also should mention that I believe any Metro worker that sees an injured child and does nothing, deserves to be puked on.


And with our first set of stitches for the summer already under our belt (Princess #1 is doing fine but her forehead lost the battle with the edge of a desk), wanted to pass this along to any other parents that may have missed the numerous reports of this phenomenon.

xoxo - stay safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment