A regular commuter journaling tales of public transportation; embellishing the colorful events and
characters to make it a little more entertaining.



pages

Monday, February 21, 2011

Personal space

This is a concept that is pretty much non-existent on mass transit commutes. Let's face it, if you're going to have personal space issues, the metro or any other similarly crowded form of transportation can cause some discomfort. I'm prepared to deal with some personal space concessions in order to speed up my overall commute time and maybe even in the name of "reducing climate change" or whatever environmentally friendly concept you want to embrace. After 15+ years living in metropolitan areas, I'm fairly over my anxieties in this area.
What I am not over -- and will never be over -- is people who choose to take this lack of personal space aspect to an extreme. I.E.: PLEASE DO NOT GROOM YOURSELF ON THE METRO. It is astonishing to me how often I encounter someone that doesn't embrace this concept:
- Woman clipping world-record-breaking longest nails ever
- Man dry brushing dander from his head into his hand. INTO HIS HAND
- Woman with small suitcase of cosmetics carefully applying her "face"
- Man with toothpick and floss. Yes, FLOSS
- Woman replacing bandages over blistered feet
This phenomenon is beyond outrageous and it needs to STOP. So please spread the word that this behavior should be reserved for somewhere far more private than public transportation.
And for the woman's whose perfume was invading my personal space all on its own today: maybe try stopping after the initial spritz. Because my nose really does need its personal space.
XOXO -- might have to start commuting in a bubble

1 comment:

  1. Oh yuck. Most of those things, I wouldn't even want my spouse to do in front of me! Some things just belong in the bathroom... with the door closed.

    India Drummond

    ReplyDelete