A regular commuter journaling tales of public transportation; embellishing the colorful events and
characters to make it a little more entertaining.



pages

Monday, March 7, 2011

CTA v. WMATA Throwdown

I always say hands down that the CTA kicks Metro's ass. So I decided to do a side-by-side to see how easily I could substantiate my claims -- not because anyone would question my judgment of course! Turns out there is a lot more that I attribute to the "intangibles" that ultimately make up my decision, and perhaps I am romanticizing the CTA just a bit...
Ultimately, it gets down to reliability for me. I'm also annoyed by what I perceive to be unfair stereotypes on both sides of the public transportation coin. Moving out to the DC area, people (many of whom do not actually regularly take public transport) rave about the Metro. "It's so clean!" I say whatever, it's still public transportation and in general, the public can be kinda gross. So it doesn't usually smell like a toilet -- big whoop. On the flip side, the "L" gets a pretty bad rap for cleanliness. In general I will concede it seems to smell worse. But otherwise, it's the same kind of well-travelled germfest as the Metro. And you're allowed to drink coffee whenever you want! (Not that it seems as appealing when things smell like a toilet...)

The rider tools and mobile access updates seem more accurate and reliable from the CTA site. However, part of my issue with WMATA's site may just be that there is almost always a delay! So, even when it's accurate, it's not really accurate. Highly frustrating.
I know when I was riding the CTA daily I was not this enamored, clearly absence has had a "grow fonder" impact. But overall, the reliability, affordability and speed (and working escalators!!) have me voting CTA as the winner this round. Even the characters I see on the Metro don't push it over the edge! Maybe when Super Grover is joined by Oscar, Big Bird and the Count, I'll do a re-match.

Travel to/from airport during weekday

*unless available through wmata.com or chicagotransit.com; observations are based on personal experience.
xoxo -- not Bobby Flay

2 comments:

  1. You drew a chart! That's just made of awesome. =)

    India Drummond

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. The public is kinda gross. Ugh. This chart is fantastic. Next I think you should review the public trains in Paris.

    ReplyDelete