A regular commuter journaling tales of public transportation; embellishing the colorful events and
characters to make it a little more entertaining.



pages

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

2011 the year of the metro blog?

I'm not sure it's really possible for me to comprehend an entire blog devoted to my experiences on the metro. I mean the Colonel Sanders, Stay-Puft Marshmallow man and sorority girl takeovers are all amusing, they just aren't that blog-worthy. Maybe worth a photo, but I am not a person that can snap photos of random people and think it's okay to post them online, regardless of how funny they are or how likely it is someone else right next to me is using the same funny person to create an awkward YouTube video. Mainly because I'm just not that good with my blackberry camera and nobody would be able to discern the blurry photos and then the comedy of my descriptions would be diminished. That or while commuting I'd have to be all, "excuse me, can you please stand that awkward way against the pole again because my last shot was too blurry and people might not get how much you look like Kim Kardashian going to work on a new reality series lobbying show?" which could lead to me getting punched in the face. So no real photos. Maybe just analogous images I find off the internet, but this already sounds like too much work.
For everyone that has been so lovely and encouraging about a potential metro blog, I'm trying to accommodate you, but it's going to take more than the crazies on the metro to sustain this.... I need to find a voice.  So I'm thinking on appropriate topics that seem to flow in line with my commuting woes in general and the random people we don't know anything about other than their outward appearance and their commuting etiquette. Like the shove-y Mrs. Claus that kicked off 2011. I mean how can you really be in a BIGGER hurry than anyone else to cram onto a boxcar commuter train and sit for who knows how long until your next destination? But what can I tell simply from looking at a white-haired woman wearing round wire specs, a fur-lined red jacket with matching pants and black boots? Maybe she really was Mrs. Claus and she's just used to VIP treatment. These are very subjective judgments.  
I've resolved a number of things for 2011 and have high hopes for accomplishing a long list of goals. So this is where we begin, thinking on how to make the horrific metro commute MORE interesting, or at least into a less painful and more fun distraction for my weekdays. But first I must wave the white flag in a battle over whether Princess #3 can put on her own underpants (she can, and does frequently). Tonight, however, she insists on help or going naked. No middle ground. So she's been walking around with a naked butt for about an hour now. I don’t think this will bode well for the goal of getting back to the preschool routine. Pretty certain the school would frown upon underpants-less girls in attendance; or at least upon their mothers sending them that way out of some stubborness battle of wills with a 3 yr old. Here's to hoping I'm not so easily defeated in my other goals this year, and that I don't see anyone's naked butt on the metro tomorrow.

XOXO - Living the dream

2 comments:

  1. I've never looked forward to the New Year as much as I am this year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to some great stories! i'll be sending some traffic from el plato gallo here!

    ReplyDelete