A regular commuter journaling tales of public transportation; embellishing the colorful events and
characters to make it a little more entertaining.



pages

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

NO FOOD ALLOWED.

Or drinks for that matter. Seems fairly harsh at 7 a.m. when I cannot be sipping on some much needed coffee, but in general I get it. Keep the metro clean so it can maintain its rep. Frankly, if I were public transportation I think I'd rather my rep be "speedy" or "timely" or "convenient" but, you know, I guess the metro has chosen "clean," and so there we go with the fairly strict adherence to the no food/drink rule. So, on those rare occasions when my nostrils are assaulted by the strong scents of food, I can't help but wonder what has caused someone to have such an utter disregard of the rules. One morning I saw a gentleman surreptitiously trying to eat hot oatmeal. Steaming. I actually saw him after I caught a strong wiff of that tell-tale aroma. Perhaps he wasn't going for surreptitious as it seems a granola bar might have achieved a similar breakfast nutritional requirement yet be more easily concealed. But that's the mystery of commuting with strangers.
Early this week my senses were accosted by the smell of a fresh orange. Not offensive, but it struck me as a very bold move: peeling and eating a juicy piece of fruit on the metro is downright audacious! So when I checked out who might be so brave as to cast aside this rather strictly enforced rule, I was a little defeated to realize it was simply a mother feeding her young daughter. Perhaps it wasn't even a mother and daughter, maybe she was a nanny or maybe an aunt or very young grandmother. Just because they had matching white fur jackets and hats does not mean they were related. Regardless, as a mother, I empathize with the struggles of travel that requires a child to remain both relatively quiet and still. I fully understand and appreciate the use of food as an incentive to achieve a modest level of cooperation. When I saw the orange being given to this adorable child sitting so quietly and politely, I couldn't help but smile. Even when the (mother) next pulled out a ziplock baggy of cheerios, I maintained my empathy.
It was the subsequent banana followed by yet ANOTHER ziplock of something that looked like chex cereal that caused me to lose my cool a bit.
To be fair, maybe I lost my cool because it was now 20 minutes into a commute that does not include caffeine before 8 a.m.…but either way I couldn't help it, my judgemental mommy side took over and I started thinking just a bit of planning could have avoided all of this eating on the metro business. Packing some crayons and paper? A few small toys? A book? Heck, some lipgloss and a pack of tic tacs could work in a pinch! I was willing to forgive the orange, but beyond that it was just blatant rule-breaking for no good reason in my mind. If my need for coffee isn't a good enough reason to break rules, then the calming effects of food snacks on small children shouldn't be either. Particularly when the small children are able to occupy their own seat, have all their teeth and can talk in full sentences.
Where were these two going that she needed to fortify her (daughter) with a three+ course breakfast before they arrived? Were they running so late she wasn't able to feed her before they left the house so instead she had time to pack up this multi-course breakfast for eating on the road? Why did she pack two different types of cereal and fruits? Was she some kind of food pyramid freak? Maybe there were medical issues to consider that I have no idea about?  
So I mentally reminded myself that I had no true idea of their situation and should just STOP jumping to conclusions. But JUST THEN, they got off the train, and not even at a transfer station which means it was likely their FINAL DESTINATION. When I looked over at the stray cheerios lining the empty metro seat left behind, I had a new appreciation for following the no food/drink rule.
I mean, if I wanted to commute to work in seats covered with cheerios, I'd just drive my minivan. Which brings us back to why coffee is probably not the greatest idea either:

{not an actual image from my minvan, but I do fully appreciate it}
XOXO - Rule follower

2 comments:

  1. Heh... this cracked me up. I'm a "cross at the lights" kind of person too.

    I will say that if the nanny started dressing like my kid, I'd be a little worried. Of course he's 6'1 and wears heavy metal t-shirts, but that wasn't always the case. You get my meaning, I'm sure. :)

    India Drummond

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to have to disagree. Getting off at the stop this morning I saw 7 metro workers standing staring at a puddle of water, no doubt debating where it came from. It couldn't possibly be the melting snow. Now maybe one or two, or 6 of these fine people, could be used to clean the metro or sweep a platform, thus allowing us a warm beverage. To much to ask?

    ReplyDelete