A regular commuter journaling tales of public transportation; embellishing the colorful events and
characters to make it a little more entertaining.



pages

Thursday, January 20, 2011

The "Bikram" Car

Inevitably it happens about once a month, a bikram metro car arrives, luring me in for the commute home. I think many of you get the analogy I'm making to bikram yoga here, but just in case: bikram is typically practiced in a hot/humid room to help achieve deeper stretching/strengthening and stress relief. Or so I've been told.
As you can imagine, this also creates a glorious environment for commuting.

Oddly enough, the way to tell which car is the bikram car is because it appears like a bit of a mirage after multiple, sardine-packed, not-even-standing-room-only, completely filled cars whiz by. Suddenly, there it is, a car that appears open, appears to have somewhere to sit down for the next 40+ minutes. It really does seem too good to be true. This is why the first time I stepped onto one, I was curious as to why others weren't rushing forward to nab this coveted space, this room to breathe and read and relax when WHAM! hit with the 100 degrees and 50% humidity.
It was then I realized why people were avoiding these cars like the plague. Sitting in one for too long can kinda make you feel like you are coming down with the plague.
Only, I have actually come to enjoy these quiet rides in an overheated metro.
Here's why: there are no high maintenance commuters in the bikram car. Which means nobody is yapping away on their cell phone or vigorously shooting things on their PSP2. Nobody is complaining about their boss or their jobs or their annoying co-workers. Nobody is combing their hair or applying make-up or flinging their backpack/purse/suitcase into your face/knees/feet.
It's typically a small group of brave people who, I would like to think, have decided the discomfort of a little heat and humidity far outweighs the typical commuting experience. I like to think we have a shared appreciation for a commute where silence is golden and personal space is appreciated.
Until someone faints or pukes.
XO - embracing bikram where I can

2 comments:

  1. Alas. I have sat on the Bikram car too many times. I agree that the silence and lack of annoying commuters is rather enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. can't stand the hot cars. People smell.

    ReplyDelete